23.

That little side story keeps popping up on all of my social medias. The one that has all these famous and successful people's names and then it has the ages that they failed at something pretty enormous in their life. It always kind of makes me chuckle. We are all so bent on success. Which isn't a bad thing. But here I am rounding 23, and if you asked me 3 weeks ago how I felt about life... I was pretty tired with absolutely no idea what was to  come of it.

22. Twenty two for Becky Trout was one heck of a whirlwind. I went from feeling like I was some what invincible and a bit numb to some feelings. To literally feeling every emotion possible in my 22nd year. I'd hate to say that I learned the most at 22 but I certainly gained whole new perspectives on everything in life. I started 22 with one plan, and I'm ending a world away from that original outlook on life. I love when people acknowledge my age, I used to hate it. This year took me to so many different new relationships in my work life around so many people that could witness and understand the same issues that I face everyday. A web of others who encouraged me everyday to press on with the same community day in and day out. A web of personal relationships that I can't ever see breaking despite life's struggles to keep friendships a live.

At 22, being able to have a job that allows me to not only pay for my living expenses, but allows me to serve and be happy in SO many different aspects through out this city in schools, sports, and community leadership. 

At 22, I had the opportunity to deliver and be a support for two births, not one, BUT TWO!! The opportunity to be that person that such a vulnerable young mother had the change to lean on me for that support.
 At 22, I was given the chance to travel to Liberia, West Africa for a month. To work alongside the most beautiful people, explore, and experience an entire different culture AND was accepted into it! Meeting one of the mothers of the children that I have loved for years in Cleveland and to be that connection to her children she hasn't seen in 10+ years was something I can't ever put into words. But then to be offered to stay, and live there was only the icing to the cake. 

At 22, being within the same area as a terrorist attack in Brussels AND never feeling so grateful to be alive and the community I have around me that continues to pray. To see that this world is SO much bigger than just my circle, and there is a real evil war going on.

At 22, losing one close friend I had spent countless times with here in Cleveland. To gaining her daughter in my life forever and to be trusted among the community as an outsider to care for her.


DESPITE, the breakdowns. Despite, the struggles. Despite, everything. The thing I face everyday when I awaken in the morning, is that I have one heck of a life that not one other person can live... because it was given to me. 

Things Becky has learned;

Coffee makes life brighter... 
Take care of yourself
Forget about what society has chosen for you, what have YOU chosen for you?
Get used to feeling stupid... it's ok
Learn to be ok with being alone, because it's freaking awesome
Forgive, period.
Fight injustice. 
We're all in the same league, don't kid yourself.
Pursue God as much and as often as you can... He pursued you on the cross.
You're gonna fail, bad. 
You're gonna fall in love, and it's not gonna be reciprocated. (Not just romantically either)
Freak out. Dance. Sing. Stand in the rain.
Wear your crown, or your cape... whatever the heck you want to do. Feel like the princess and super hero that you are.
I've measured my success on my current happiness.
Whatever you do, where ever you go, give it every single ounce of everything you have.
Be genuine and tell it how it is.
Travel everywhere, get lost, eat weird things, and love every aspect of a different culture that you can.



I'm done complaining. I'm done wishing for a different outcome. And I'm here to say, bring it on 23.... 





*plus Lebron and Jordan both wore this number.

xoxo- Becky


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Blogger, It's been awhile

Countdown to kickoff- ONE WEEK !

Go love the people