Desensitizing in our midst.

It's January 18th, 2015... 18 days into January and half way through my twenty first year on earth and it's already been something for the books. I can always look back in my years and see what kind of phases I've been in and what things certainly irked me to thrive in a different passion or put someone or something behind me. Lately, I have been looking a lot into my relationships of different forms and a lot on how this generation communicates. My job entails me to work with many different people of all different ages, ethnicity, culture, shapes, sizes, and backgrounds. This has caused me to deeply search within myself how I can best be a resource to them for the work of the Kingdom. It's not easy and often draining even frustrating. Since I've found myself in this new found phase of almost disgust, anytime I like to make an assumption and sometimes conclusion about other people or society in a whole, I am certainly sure to check myself first. What I am seeing through and through the evolution of people and their relationships is that it is almost non-existent. By that I mean our lines of communication and foundation building have now been changed completely into tho forms of social media, text messages, emails, or emoji faces.

As much as I am guilty of the ways I communicate to people in the world and that I often sometimes shut the world out for awhile as I fall into the world of Pinterest and even this blog. I'm not saying these are all bad things that we need to rid ourselves of completely, but do you see where this is becoming more and more consuming in our everyday culture. I've been realizing myself certainly has been becoming desensitized in my actions of disconnection. I hate to blame the social network, our iphones or smart phones, our video games, or our televisions but when I look back in my own life I see all these distractions and it seriously checks my heart to the point of where I feel these burdens of the missed opportunities, missed blessings, the hinders of relationships I've buried. Whats making this world so disconnected is our fear to be seen. We've been pushed around too much that we keep pushing ourselves deeper and deeper inside of ourselves to the point where we wont commit to real people with real words and real relationships but we will talk and dream to a picture we see on tinder, Facebook, instagram, and twitter. And in the deafening silence at the end of the night our lack of commitment and need for instant gratification is what keeps us most alone in life.

I get more than anything that we've been hurt, we've seen a lot in our years. I know from personal experience of the feeling like I don't even know what love or a real marriage looks like. It made me want to run from any time of romantic relationship for along time watching my parents' fail. And I'm completely awkward when it comes to any type of someone getting to know me anymore that I feel like I let on this act of  "I got it all together". I don't. But because I know my creator and that His plans are ultimately higher than mine, I know that I don't have to have it all together. Because I can't learn to love myself until I begin to learn what the God who created me thinks of me.

How that falls into our problems here in this "Generation Y", if we could just take a minute put down our phones and talk to the person standing right in front of us. For us to come out of hiding behind our profiles of the way we would like the world to portray us and be completely honest and real. Could you tell me that if you spoke every word of truth instead of sitting behind a Facebook status of how you "kinda" feel that you wouldn't feel refreshed? To open yourself up enough to love others and then receive love that is out there for you? It's 2015 when will we finally realize what we are missing?


Come out of hiding and take a few leaps of faith in being so concerned what people think of you and actually build a foundation. Dare to be anything but shallow. That faith you are so afraid of is meant to make you grow, make you feel, make you connect. Not ever once was it to be easy. At 21 years of age, I'm challenging every 20 something, every 30 something, every age to take a minute and realize what we are hiding from that hasn't already been seen?


For in Him, all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for Him. Colossians 1:16



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Blogger, It's been awhile

Countdown to kickoff- ONE WEEK !

Perhaps Its Not The “Progressive” Movement You Think.